Environmental & Intergovernmental Reviews
In cooperation with State Agencies, PlanRVA routinely is requested to provide environmental and intergovernmental reviews. PlanRVA staff circulate the review requests among member locality staff for comments and questions prior to submitting a response to the requesting agency.
Environmental reviews can include:
- Environmental Assessments and Impact Reports - Virginia code requires state agencies to prepare an environmental impact report (EIR) for each major state project.
- Coastal Consistency Determinations and Certifications - Due to receipt of Federal funds or permits, proposed projects must prove consistency with the enforceable policies of Virginia’s Coastal Zone Management Program.
- Groundwater Withdrawal Permits - PlanRVA staff receives notice of Groundwater Withdrawal Permits in the Eastern Virginia Ground Water Management Area (GWMA). The eastern portion of PlanRVA is located in the Eastern Virginia GWMA. All jurisdictions in the Eastern Virginia GWMA are notified of pending permits as part of this process, therefore PlanRVA receives review requests for projects outside of the Richmond region. Click here for more information.
- Virginia Water Protection (VWP) Permits - DEQ issues VWP Permits for activities related to the quality of surface waters in the Commonwealth including the filling, dredging, draining or excavation of wetlands, streams, or other state waters. Surface water withdrawals are also permitted through VWP permits.
- Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) Permits – DEQ issues VPDES permits to any person who discharges any pollutant into surface waters of the Commonwealth from a point source.
Intergovernmental reviews can include:
- State Agency grant applications for Federal funding, including:
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) grant funds from US EPA (Superfund programming and site remediation)
- Virginia Coastal Zone Management Program funding from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Diesel Emission Reduction Act (DERA) State Clean Diesel funds from US EPA
- Capitalization funds for the Virginia Clean Water Revolving Loan Fund for wastewater treatment facility improvements from US EPA
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Section 5310 funding for projects involving transit and mobility enhancements for seniors and individuals with disabilities.
The latest set of environmental reviews completed and reported to the PlanRVA Commission can be found here.
Environmental & Intergovernmental: