Our Mission: “Partnering to enable outcomes that matter for our Region”
The purpose of a planning district commission is "...to encourage and facilitate local government cooperation and state-local cooperation in addressing, on a regional basis, problems of greater than local significance. The cooperation facilitates the recognition and analysis of regional opportunities and takes into consideration regional influences in planning and implementing public policies and services.
PlanRVA provides a variety of services to member local governments.
Funding and Grants Management
Public Participation and Engagement
Research (Modeling / Data / Maps / GIS)
Our Programs are focused on issues that serve the region.
PlanRVA helps to support these Programs by:
- Conducting studies on issues and problems of regional significance
- Identifying and potential opportunities for local cost savings and staffing efficiencies through coordinated local government efforts
- Implementing services upon request of member localities
- Providing technical assistance to state government and member localities
- Serving as a liaison between localities and state agencies as requested
- Reviewing local government aid applications as required by applicable law
- Conducting strategic planning for the region as required by applicable law
- Developing regional functional area plans as deemed necessary by the commission or as requested by member localities
- Assisting state agencies, as requested, in the development of substate plans
- Collecting and maintaining demographic, economic and other data, acting as a state data center affiliate in cooperation with the Virginia Employment Commission
- Participating in a statewide geographic information system, the Virginia Geographic Information Network, as directed by the Department of Planning and Budget
One important duty of PDCs is to create a strategic plan for their region of service.
The Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) is a plan created in cooperation with local economic developers, educators, workforce providers and non-profits for the orderly and efficient development of the region.
The plan states goals and objectives, strategies to meet those goals, and mechanisms for measuring progress.