Common Emergencies in Central Virginia
Thunderstorms and Lightning
ABOVE: SAFETY TIPS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
Lightning is a leading cause of injury and death from weather-related hazards. Although most lightning victims survive, people struck by lightning often report a variety of long-term, debilitating symptoms.
Thunderstorms are dangerous storms that include lightning and can:
- Include powerful winds over 50 MPH
- Create hail
- Cause flash flooding and tornadoes
If you are under a thunderstorm warning, find safe shelter right away
- When thunder roars, go indoors!
- Move from outdoors into a building or car.
- Pay attention to alerts and warnings.
- Unplug appliances.
- Do not use landline phones.
Learn more about how to prepare for and stay safe during thunderstorms and lighting at ready.gov