Common Emergencies in Central Virginia
In just two minutes, a fire can become life threatening. In five minutes, a residence can be engulfed in flames.
In the event of a fire, remember that every second counts, so you and your family must always be prepared. Escape plans can help you get out of your home quickly.
Twice each year, practice your home fire escape plan
Some tips to consider when preparing this plan include:
- Find two ways to get out of each room in the event the primary way is blocked by fire or smoke.
- A secondary route might be a window onto a neighboring roof or a collapsible ladder for escape from upper-story windows.
- Make sure windows are not stuck, screens can be taken out quickly, and security bars can be properly opened.
- Practice feeling your way out of the house in the dark or with your eyes closed.
- Teach children not to hide from firefighters.